Twitter

Twitter Badge

Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Lost Prince Brings Home The Dessert

 “This blend of urban and cross-world fantasy combines the excitement of the Harry Potter series with the dark grittiness of the Dresden Files books and should appeal to mature young adults as well as to adult lovers of the genre.”--Library Journal (The Lost Prince)

  
The Lost Prince (book 2 of the Guardians of Aandor series) made its debut on August 20th, and the reviews so far have been overwhelmingly positive. I want to point out one important change I've made regarding the ending of this book compared with its predecessor; although Awakenings also received much praise, many reviewers (and readers) were put out by the cliffhanger ending, and didn't realize they were starting a series. I'd actually read reviews where readers admitted I'd lost a star on their rating for this very reason. With book 2, I decided to go with a more definitive ending. What does this mean exactly? It's the difference between the ending of a Harry Potter book, where that book's story is relatively wrapped up, and that in A Game of Thrones book, when the story stops just as a protagonist dies, his family is scattered to the winds, and the bad guys are victorious. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)


In truth, the ending I had always envisioned for The Lost Prince already lent itself to this more definitive conclusion. (Unlike the writers of the TV show, Lost, I actually do have an idea of where my story is going.) And boy, what an ending it is! The fact is, books one and two roll together like an epic self-contained 900-page story. If you didn't want to continue reading this universe, you could stop at the end of The Lost Prince, completely satisfied. If I had to create a metaphor for comparison I'd go with this: Awakenings was a delicious home-cooked three-course meal with a modest, though tasty dessert. (Think a scoop of gelato.) The Lost Prince is a scrumptious, seven-course gourmet dinner with a three-tiered dessert tray bearing tiramisu, Black Forest chocolate cake, flan, crème brûlée, pie, and of course, gelato. (For my non-culinary readers--think deep-fried Oreos, deep-fried Snickers, and deep-fried Twinkies.) Yes, folks, it's that good!
 

I'm really proud of this second novel. Some will live, some will die, and Daniel... (heh, heh).  The Lost Prince Hardcover from Tor Books is out in stores now. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering
    if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.

    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was
    hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like
    this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.


    Feel free to surf to my weblog money loans problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. what the hell. I purchased the lost prince thinking "this sounds like a good read" just to find out it is a sequel. Publishers need to make it a little more obvious when a book is a sequel . Nowhere in this book did i see anything to indicate this.It hasn't got the series name on it and all it says is books by Edward Lazellari. Not also in the series Awakening. I hate it when publishing companies do this, and in no way blame the Author being that they generally have no say in the cove of the book they spent months possibly even years wrighting. i just think its crap is all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Thank you for your interest in the Guardians of Aandor series. Sorry to hear about your disappointment about the series not being promoted as such. I did speak to the editor about this issue and the publisher is going to make an effort to highlight the series aspect of the books when we publish book 3 Blood of Ten Kings. On the bright side, book 2 has a more definitive ending than book 1, which is more of a cliffhanger (you can imagine the emails I got over that one). Together they read like one long 900 page novel.

      Delete